Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Assignment 3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video seems to be very similar to my college experience. Some professors still use the chalkboard, especially in my math class. Some professors, however, do a mixture of the smart board and the chalkboard. Since I am a returning student, smart boards are new to me. They seem to have a lot of potential in making the classroom more interesting. If a professor chooses to use the smart board, I enjoy it more when videos are used in conjunction with class notes.

If I were to change anything about the video as a producer, I would include an additional survey for the students. I would not only ask about the critiques of the current classroom, but I would also ask for suggestions on how to make the classroom experience more productive. How would the students improve the classroom experience and make it more hands on and more interesting? Could the professor use the smart board to add more pictures, movies and possibly music to teach the subject? Could the professor ask the students to post comments, questions and answers on their blog, face book, etc. for the class? Would this make the class experience more memorable, more enjoyable?

"It's Not About the Technology"

I am especially interested in the comment Ms. Hines made, "technology is useless without good teaching." I agree. For example, if a teacher uses a smart board to only read off class notes, the lecture starts to lose interest very fast.

The best class I have this semester (besides my EDM 310 class of course!) has been the one with a chalk board, a smart board, a map, and a seasoned teacher. The class is Geography 102 with Mr. Glenn Sebastian. I can't help but to think this teacher has taught this same class several times, but still, he loves what he does. And you know what? Because Mr. Sebastian loves what he does, and has an excitement and an energy for the subject; it
I love Geography Chick

makes me wonder why he loves it so much. I can't help but to perk up in class and want to listen to what he says is so awesome about Geography. I have even caught myself thinking, wow, I could see myself teaching this subject!

I come from a sales background. So, I understand in order to get someone excited about or sell your product, you must believe in and love it yourself. When we love what we do it will show and people will want to be around us and be a part of what we are doing! Thank you, Mr. Sebastian, you have sold me on Geography!

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I agree that all teachers would benefit from being lifelong learners in technology. For that matter, I think all people would benefit from being lifelong learners in technology. Whereas, some people may be able to get away with not incorporating several means of technology in their daily lifestyle, I am surprised to find out that a teacher would be able to get away with it.

I wish I could have read about some of the specific frustrations that Mr. Fisch has with his fellow colleagues. Such as, they refused to teach with technology, they do not like to email, twitter, etc. Being a new education student, I would like to hear Mr. Fish's opinion also on what he feels would be a technologically competent teacher. I feel very fortunate that our program here at USA is preparing us to teach with several different technological methods.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

The Social Media Counter's count is astounding! Thinking about what all of these new avenues of technology mean to us as a teacher is also astounding. First, we must come to terms with the fact that yes, we will be using new technology to teach, and yes it will be a good thing. So, the sooner we learn to use it the better.

From everything I have observed so far, students learning technology are being brought together, not distanced from each other. Blogs, Twitter, Google Docs, etc. are excellent tools for young students to express and share their ideas that make them unique and special.

As a parent, I am looking for a school that promotes state of the art learning in a healthy, nurturing environment. I do not think any parents would disagree. However, if anyone is worried about technology becoming so advanced that it will replace a healthy learning environment, I do not believe that will be the case. I believe parents would only choose that option if the learning environments they had to choose from were not healthy for their children.

2 comments:

  1. "I would not only ask about the critiques of the current classroom, but I would also ask for suggestions on how to make the classroom experience more productive. How would the students improve the classroom experience and make it more hands on and more interesting?" You didn't think these issues were addressed in the video? Hmmm...


    "I wish I could have read about some of the specific frustrations that Mr. Fisch has with his fellow colleagues." Follow him on Twitter @karlfisch He also published regularly to his blog at Littleton CO High School. He is on the list of C4T teachers. Google him. You will find a LOT of hits. Be a detective if you really mean what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-watched the Vision of Students Today video. While watching the video, I saw many concerns of the students. In my first post, I could have been clearer. I merely meant if the students do not want the type of education they are receiving now, what type do they want? I would have loved to see more video, like a part two. I would have enjoyed seeing the students offer their suggestions on cards. When someone has a problem or a complaint, I feel that is their moment to shine with a solution. Then, if they can get others on board to follow their solution, they have made a difference.

    I am going to take your advice and follow Mr.Fisch on Twitter.

    Thanks, Dr. Strange!

    ReplyDelete