Sunday, February 27, 2011

C4K#1, #2, #3 Summary

google images

Owen T, The Most Amazing Camp in the World

I just finished reading my first C4K blogpost by Owen T. Owen is a student at Crozet Public School in Charlottesville, PA. His teacher is Ms. Paula White who enjoys teaching children about technology. Owen's blogpost was about a summer camp in the area called Summers Best 2 Weeks, also titled, The Most Amazing Camp in the World by Owen. I was very impressed that Owen included a link to the camp in his post in which he directed his readers to watch the movie trailer. I watched the movie trailer. He was right. It was amazing. It made me wish I was in the fourth grade again so I could go!!

The Million Dollar Project

Mr. St. Pierre's Class is doing "The Million Dollar Project" in response to Governor Cuomo cutting New York's state budget that will directly affect their school. During this project, students will be competing to win one million dollars. The catch? The one million is imaginary and the monies must be spent on school improvement.

These students are eleven and twelve years old, so some of them may be accustomed to saving and spending an allowance. However, experts recommend weekly allowances to be no more than the child's actual age. So, with that current trend in mind, I would be very eager to see the children learn the actual value of one million dollars. I can picture the children working on the project. They will transition from imagining a figure of one million dollars in a very abstract way, to becoming acquainted with a real, tangible figure. I would be very excited if my child came home with a project like this.

Mohammed, "Sailing the Pacific"

Mohammed is a five year student who goes to school in New Zealand at Pt England School. At first, I was a little hesitant about blogging because of the recent earthquake in Christ Church, New Zealand. After a map quest, I realized Auckland, New Zealand, the town where Mohammed lives, is six hundred and sixty miles from Christ Church. It also appears to be on a separate island. After reading a couple other posts from some older children at his school, it appears they all are okay. However, they are very concerned about and praying for their fellow citizens in Christ Church.

Mohammed's blog post was an amazing picture of color and animation about the Vikings. I enjoyed viewing the beautiful stars that fell to the ground, the cutest pink pig traveling in the midst of the Vikings, and a vibrant green fish that buzzed in the ocean. I also learned that Vikings would bring coconuts as part of their provisions.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved your summery of your Comments4Kids. I felt very privileged to be able to enter these kids lives through the Internet. Most Of the kids I commented on were young and their posts were very short and to the point but it's still neat to see how easily the world can be connected. I can tell that you really enjoyed your posts and I feel like you learned a lot from your experiences, as I did. I think that the classroom could do wonders with expanding the awareness of student around the world to one another. I look forward to seeing this type of thing in my classroom in the future.

    ReplyDelete