Sunday, March 6, 2011

PLN Project #10

twitter bird

A Personal Learning Network is a new term for me, but not a totally new concept. Now, I am learning to organize and follow information and people on the internet. This information keeps me up to date in my new professional field of teaching. It introduces me to concepts, terms and theories from people all over the world and I have not even stepped foot in a classroom yet. I can see the value in a PLN.

When I was in the banking business, loan products could change or be discontinued in a day's notice. It was imperative to stay up to date on all of the changes by reading websites, checking emails and making phone calls to account reps daily. I would also read magazine and internet articles constantly. However, in our profession, we just called this "keeping up with what was going on". We "followed" each other, but not with all of the awesome tools that are available on the internet.

If we want to continue to grow and prosper in our chosen professions, we cannot afford to choose to stick our heads in the sand. The world changes things in our professions whether we like it or not. I believe our best line of defense is being prepared for what is happening, not just being blindsided by change and hoping for the best. We must reach out to find and surround ourselves with mentors and smart peers.

I have been working on an Education PLN. I have created my own blog for EDM310. I am following current educator's blogs. I am following educators on Twitter. I have tweeted! I arrange my Twitter on Tweet deck. While I am checking out resources for my blog posts, I usually come across some information that I want to save to read later. I put this information in my drop box. I watch and make You Tube videos for educational purposes. I have put all of my information together on Symbaloo.

I am only getting started. I can't wait to see what I learn next. I am grateful for my EDM310 class.

No comments:

Post a Comment